The Desert Mothers is a project I created to record songs inspired in various ways by American desert landscapes.
O’Reilly Media asked me to write an online article about the recording of the first Desert Mothers song, “Nowhere Motel,” by way of reviewing a new virtual recording studio web application called esession.
- Steel guitarist Bruce Kaphan (David Byrne, Sheryl Crow, the Black Crowes, American Music Club, Red House Painters)
- Bassist Byron House (Dixie Chicks, Emmylou Harris, Buddy Miller, Dolly Parton)
- Drummer Pat Mastelloto (XTC, King Crimson, David Sylvian, Mr. Mister)
- Percussionist Tom Roady (Dixie Chicks, Kenny Chesney, Michael McDonald, Ricky Skaggs, Trisha Yearwood)
- Keyboardist Gene Rabbai (Neil Young, Willie Nelson, Vince Gill)
- Singer Gina Fant-Saez, the founder of esession
- Mix engineer Marc Urselli (U2, Foo Fighters, Sting, Lou Reed, Keith Richards, Kesha, Jeff Beck).
The article takes you step-by-step through the recording process, with audio examples. You can read it here.