O’Reilly Media asked me to write an online article about the recording of the first Desert Mothers song, “Nowhere Motel,” by way of reviewing a new virtual recording studio web application called esession.
I got to work with some fantastic musicians on Nowhere Motel:
- Steel guitarist Bruce Kaphan (David Byrne, Sheryl Crow, the Black Crowes, American Music Club, Red House Painters).
- Bassist Byron House (Dixie Chicks, Emmylou Harris, Buddy Miller, Dolly Parton).
- Drummer Pat Mastelloto (XTC, King Crimson, David Sylvian, Mr. Mister).
- Percussionist Tom Roady (Dixie Chicks, Kenny Chesney, Michael McDonald, Ricky Skaggs, Trisha Yearwood).
- Keyboardist Gene Rabbai (Neil Young, Willie Nelson, Vince Gill).
- And singer Gina Fant-Saez, the founder of esession.
The article takes you step-by-step through the recording process, with audio examples. You can read it here.
And this is the finished song: